Bubur ayam is a very common Indonesian street food dish that you will find all over Jakarta. It is the Indonesian version of rice congee porridge, and one of the most common versions is served with chicken. In this video I went to a restaurant called Bubur Ayam Barito, which is located in South Jakarta, and it's a legendary restaurant when it comes to serving bubur ayam.
It was a really rainy day, it rained the entire day, and even when I thought the rain was starting to clear, it still rained the entire time we walked over to the restaurant. So I thought it was the perfect day to eat rice congee, because it's such a comforting and warming dish - and even though it wasn't cold outside, it was a little bit cooler than a normal day when the sun was shining.
We arrived to Bubur Ayam Barito in the evening, well before the main dinner rush, and they were already packed with hungry customers. But just as we are arrived they were setting up for dinner and so they set up a tent on the side of the sidewalk so that we could get a seat. When you go to Bubur Ayam Barito, they prepare all of the bubur ayam to the left hand side where the kitchen is located. And if you're lucky you can get a seat right there where they are cooking, otherwise there's a huge overflow section underneath the tarp where there're plenty of tables and places to sit.
In order to make the bubur ayam, the rice congee porridge was already prepared. And so he took a spoon and he dished out a portion, and just from looking at him dish it out I could tell how sticky and thick it was. This is not just an ordinary bowl of rice congee, it was topped with a bunch of different items including some sliced shredded chicken, and also put an egg in it, and also with some crunchy things. I also saw a lot of people are eating at Bubur Ayam Barito, and they ordered a couple skewers of chicken innards, which appeared to be deep-fried and on a stick, and so I had to follow.
The bubur ayam, was overall very good, and it was definitely a deluxe bowl of rice congee. However, rice congee is still not my favorite thing to eat, as I usually prefer dishes that are a little bit more spicy and flavorful. But that being said this was a pretty good bowl of rice congee and it definitely tasted good because it was a rainy day as well.
Saturday, 1 July 2017
Bubur Ayam Barito: Chicken Rice Porridge in Jakarta
- ► 2018 (156)
- HALAL ENGLISH BREAKFAST
- Visiting with Huell Howser: Halal Food
- Why Halal-Grade Meat Is More Humane And Better Tas...
- Muslim dan Makanan Halal di China
- Istanbul Street Food Kofte and Breakfast on Turkis...
- Incredible Omani Food and Attractions in Muscat (C...
- Indian Chicken Masala Recipe by Lalit Kumar | Spic...
- Mutton Recipes: Spicy Mutton Curry Home Style | By...
- Thai Steamed Fish With Lime and Garlic Recipe (ปลา...
- Beluga Caviar is Black Gold: MUNCHIES Guide to Teh...
- Friendly Indonesian Street Food: Nasi Gule Solo
- Sate Padang Ajo Ramon - Indonesian Street Food in ...
- Indonesian Oxtail Soup (Sop Buntut)!
- Fried Crispy Catfish (Pecel Lele) at Permata Mubar...
- Insanely Spicy Grilled Chicken (Ayam Taliwang)
- Indonesian Street Food Sop Kaki Kambing - EXTREME ...
- Amazing Fried Duck and Sambal at Bebek Goreng H. S...
- Manado Food at Ikan Tude Bakar Restaurant in Jakarta
- Indonesian Sate (Satay) - AMAZING Indonesian Stree...
- Nasi Padang - Amazing Beef Rendang and Gulai Otak!
- Bubur Ayam Barito: Chicken Rice Porridge in Jakarta
- ▼ July (21)