Vegan Indonesian Nasi Goreng(Fried Rice)
6 cups cooked White Basmati Rice (leftover cold rice)
Note: If rice is made the same day, put it in the fridge for 3-4 hours before using.
2 cups soy chicken such as Gardein, Soy Curls (rehydrated), or smoked baked tofu, small cubed
1 cup vegan shrimps, diced (optional)
2 cups shelled edamame, thawed
2 1/2 cups shallots or onion, slice thinly
1 - 2 red jalapenos, chopped (reduced or opt out for less spicy)
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. Safflower or Canola Oil
1/4 cup vegetable broth
4 green onions, slice thinly
6 Tbsp. Sambal Tomat or 3 Tbsp Sambal Oelek/Chili Garlic Sauce
Note: My sambal tomat is less hot than store-bought sambal. To reduce heat, cut it in half.
2 Tbsp. Toyomansi or Vegan Fish Sauce replacement or Bragg's Liquid Aminos
5 Tbsp. Kecap manis
1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
Veggie Chips or Garlic Chips
Homemade scrambled tofu (optional)
Brambang Goreng or Fried Shallots
- Break down the cold rice with fingers so rice is loose and dry. Make sure that all clumps are broken down. Set aside.
- Heat wok on top of medium high heat. Add oil and swirl the oil around to cover wok surfaces.
- Add shallots/onions. Stir fry until they are fragrant and limp. Then add garlic and chopped red chili.
- Stir fry more until onions/shallots are a bit brown. Add soy chicken/seitan/soy curls/tofu to the wok. Add the vegan shrimps, if using.
- Stir fry some more and add vegetable broth when things start to stick into the wok.
- Add sambal, toyomansi/liquid aminos/fish sauce replacement, kecap manis. Combine with stir fried ingredients. Stir fry until sauce ingredients are combined well with all other ingredients.
- Gradually add rice and shelled edamame to the work and mix well with the stir fried ingredients in the wok. Taste and add salt and white pepper. Add more kecap manis, toyomansi, and sambal if necessary.
- When everything is combined well and taste delicious. Mix in the green onions. Combine well and take it off heat.
- Serve with fried shallots on top and scrambled tofu, tomato slices, cucumber slices, and veggie or garlic chips on the side.